Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I Am, Too!

“I am, too!”  What precious, precious words!!  Last night I told Clay (who was insisting on watching t.v.) that I was going back to his room to play in hopes that he would join me.  Tim followed behind with an “I am, too.”  “I am, too,” repeated Clay, as he popped up from the couch and fell in line. 
That might not seem like much, but it stopped me (and Tim) in our tracks.  
Clay is a quiet child (with the exception of the afore blogged screaming fits J ) who turned two a few months ago.  He is very intelligent.  He understands things.  And as far as I’m concerned is advanced when it comes to fine motor skills.  But he is not verbal.  He gets his point across.  He just chooses to do it in as few words as possible.
“Was that his first sentence?!?” I exclaimed.
“Yeah, it was!” said, Tim.
“Clay!,” I practically yelled, “I’m going to do somersaults on the mat.”
“I am, too,” said Tim (with minimal prodding).
“I am, too,” said Clay!
It’s so amazing how the changes sneak up on you and are so gradual they are sometimes hard to notice.  After some calmer thought, we realized this wasn’t really his first sentence at all.  For a while now he has said “got it” pretty consistently and has started saying a slurred together version of “I want” before certain popular nouns such as “juice” or “cake”.  But, this has definitely been his clearest sentence, and was significant enough for us!
Now, I don’t expect Clay to start carrying on long conversations with me just yet, but those were still some precious words!!

1 comment:

  1. Such a sweet story!! So glad you are blogging now. Keep the stories coming!!

    ReplyDelete